BOTOX® pre and post care instructions
Dr Debbie Norval only uses FDA approved Allergan manufactured Botox®. Botox® is a protein derived from the Clostridium Botulinum Bacterium. It is not the actual bacterium, only a purified by-product.
Pre care Instructions
- Avoid blood-thinning over the counter medications such as aspirin, Brufen®, Voltaren® and other anti-inflammatory medications. Paracetamol is fine to use. Avoid Omega 3 Fatty acids and arnica as they also thin the blood and increase your risk of bruising. Please notify Dr Norval if you are using prescription or non-prescription blood thinners so extra precaution can be taken to avoid bruising.
- A tip is to take zinc supplements to increase the effectiveness of Botox®. Zinc is necessary for Botox® to attach to nerve receptors.
- Come in 15 minutes early if you would like topical anaesthetic cream to be applied.
- If this is your first time receiving Botox® a “before” photo will be taken.
- Botox® is contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Other contraindications include rare neurological conditions, for example, Motor Neurone Disease, Myasthenia Gravis and Lambert-Eaton Syndrome.
Post care instructions
- Immediately after your treatment post-procedure gel or medical concealer will be applied.
- Immediately following your treatment, please do not lie down for 4 hours.
- Avoid any pressure to the area for 4 days as this may disrupt the placement of the drug. If you would like to reapply makeup, please do so gently over the treated area. Don’t rub the area for 4 hours.
- Refrain from heavy exercise for 24 hours. Exercise can result in the Botox® migrating into unwanted muscles.
- On the day of your treatment, don’t apply pressure to the forehead such as swimming goggles, a tight hat or a helmet.
- Your treatment will take effect anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks, but most commonly within 3-5 days. Since everybody is different, your Botox® treatment is tailored specifically for you.
- A complimentary two week follow up appointment is advised, especially when you are new to Botox®. This is a quick check of your treatment outcome. Any refinements to your dose will be done then. At that time, “after” photo’s may be taken for your patient file. This photo will not be shared without your express written permission.
Allergan, the manufacturer of Botox® reports the average duration of results to be approximately 3-4 months. It is important to maintain regular injection intervals to maintain an optimal aesthetic result and prevent returning to your original pre-treatment condition.