Carboxytherapy is the subcutaneous administration of medical grade carbon dioxide gas through localised micro-injections using a very fine needle. The therapy is safe and non-toxic and works by increasing the blood supply to the tissues, as well as introducing growth factors to stimulate the production of collagen. Carboxytherapy has multiple uses in aesthetic medicine and is used for facial rejuvenation, crêpey skin, scars, stretch marks, cellulite, fat reduction, sexual rejuvenation, the treatment of leg veins, hair loss and chronic non-healing ulcers.
- Avoid blood-thinning over the counter medications such as Aspirin, Brufen®, Voltaren® and other anti-inflammatory medications. Panado® is fine to use. Avoid Omega 3 Fatty acids and arnica-containing products as they also thin the blood and increase your risk of bruising. Please notify Dr Norval if you are using prescription or non-prescription blood thinners so extra precaution can be taken to avoid bruising.
- Take two Panado® or Stopayne® half an hour before the procedure if you feel you might need it.
- A tip is to take magnesium supplements the day before and on the day of treatment as this helps make the pain killers more effective. Eg Slow Mag®
- Come in 15 minutes early if you would like topical anaesthetic cream to be applied.
- If this is your first time receiving carboxytherapy, a “before” photo might be taken.
Post care instructions
- Immediately post-treatment you may feel a bit puffy or swollen. This settles in a few hours but can take a day or so in some patients.
- Bruising is normal and common and resolves as quickly as your bruises normally settle. Usually within 7-10 days.
- Carboxytherapy improves circulation which may result in increased frequency of urination. This is normal and will resolve in a day or two. Drink between 1.5 to 2L of water daily.
- No immersion in water (bathing, swimming) post Carboxytherapy for 24 hours post-treatment. A shower is fine.
- No SCUBA diving post Carboxytherapy for 1-week post-treatment
- Carboxytherapy is a collagen induction therapy so results are usually seen from about six weeks onwards. Be patient!
- Treatments are done weekly (ideally) or every two weeks x 6-10 sessions depending on the severity of the condition being treated
- Once desired results are achieved Maintenance sessions are recommended every 2-4 months