Platelet Rich Plasma with Dermapen® and/or Injection Mesotherapy
Pre & Post Care
Platelets are special cells naturally found in the blood that contain key growth factors that stimulate micro-cellular growth and repair with the formation of new collagen.
Also known as the “Vampire Facial” this facial rejuvenation treatment can last between six and 12 months with virtually no downtime, and revealing results almost immediately. Ideally, patients should have 1-3 sessions, 4-6 weeks apart.
When Platelet-Rich Plasma is injected into the skin, it accelerates the natural healing process, which is why it’s been used in treating certain degenerative diseases, sports injuries, and other conditions as well for more than four decades.
The SA Stem cell Institute PRP Kit concentrates and activates your platelets using a centrifuge and special blood collection tubes. Platelet-rich plasma enhances skin texture, smoothness and colour while decreasing scarring, pores and fine lines.
- Stop any products containing retinol 3 days before and after your procedure
- Aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications, arnica and omega 3&6 fatty acids should also be avoided for 3-7 days before microneedling as they thin the blood.
- Avoid any immune suppressive medication or cortisone 24 hours before microneedling.
- Avoid direct sun exposure 14 days before treatment and for the duration of the treatment schedule
- Inform the doctor if you are allergic to lignocaine anaesthetic.
- Local anaesthetic will be applied 30- 45 minutes before the procedure.
- Inform the doctor if you have had any laser/IPL/hair removal/dermabrasion/peels in the last 3 months.
- Dermapen cannot be done over a cosmetic tattoo.
- Dermapen is not advised if you have any active breakouts or a fever blister.
- Dermapen is contraindicated if you are on any high dose of Vitamin A supplements, Roactuane®, Oratane® or Isotane®
- Ideally after a platelet facial its best to leave the platelets on the skin as long as possible and not wipe the precious growth factors off the skin. A post-procedure cream will be applied at the end of the treatment but no makeup ideally that day.
- Later that evening wash face gently with mild cleanser e.g. Cetaphil® and apply your usual moisturiser or barrier repair/post-procedure cream e.g. SVR Cicavit® cream
- The following day apply liberal amounts of post-procedure cream e.g. DP Cover Recover® for 2-4 days. Apply as often as you need to soothe the skin and allow healing to take place
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 10 days if possible. Apply sunscreen twice daily. e.g. Bioderma® or Heliocare®
- Do not perform any vigorous exercise for at least 12 hours after treatment.
- Do not apply make-up for at least 12 hours after the treatment.
- Needling may trigger a cold sore in patients who are prone to fever blisters. Prophylactic medication will be prescribed if necessary
- You may return to regular skin care products as soon as it is comfortable to do so, but avoid alcohol-based toners for 10-14 days. Restart retinol containing products after 3 days.
What to expect
Day 1: Where the platelets have been injected you will feel a stinging sensitive sensation with a bit of swelling, blotchiness and inflammation. This is normal and expected as the platelets set the inflammatory/collagen cascade in motion. There may be some “bee sting” little bumps that will fade in 24-48 hours. Swelling should settle very quickly, within 24 hours.
Your skin will be red and tight with a “sunburnt” feeling from the Dermapen®. This is normal and lasts for 1-2 days. As your skin strengthens with subsequent treatments these after-effects will become milder each session. Pinprick bruises can occur with Mesotherapy
Day 2: Swelling should have started to settle. The pink hue persists like a moderate sunburn. The skin may feel tight and dry. The skin may still be sensitive when washing face. You may notice some small prick bruises from the mesotherapy injections in the problem areas.
Day 3-4: Skin can be pink or normal colour. There may still be some redness or blotchiness in the problem areas. There may be some itching and flaking (this is an indication of the increased cell turnover stimulated by the microneedling)
3 sessions, 4- 6 weeks apart. Then maintenance treatments once a year. The treatment protocol varies depending on the condition being treated.