Pre and post-care instructions
Silhouette Soft® Sutures
Silhouette Soft® is a Polylactic acid suture. The components are natural and fully absorbable. Polylactic acid, or PLA, has been used for many years in various pharmaceutical and medical applications, such as suture thread, orthopaedic pins, screws and nails for bone fractures, etc. It is also used in new biodegradable stent trials. Silhouette Soft® received FDA and CE 0499 approval and the ISO 13485 standards are per European Directive 93/42.
Pre care instructions
- Avoid blood-thinning medication such as aspirin and NSAIDS (Myprodol®, Brufen®) Omega 3, arnica tablets or high-dosage vitamin E supplements for 3-10 days leading up to the thread procedure. This is to avoid bruising. If it is medically important for you to take blood thinners, please continue but let the doctor know so that special care can be taken to reduce bruising.
- Ideally, there should be no Botox® or filler injections in the area to be treated with Silhouette Sutures a week before the procedure.
- No carboxytherapy should be done immediately before the procedure. This may lead to excessive bruising.
- Any aesthetic procedure causing an inflammatory effect should not be performed 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after the procedure. E.g. laser, IPL, Radiofrequency, Fraxel®
- Please come to your appointment with a clean make up free face.
What to expect after the procedure
- Temporary swelling or tenderness may occur.
- There may be some bruising after the treatment. This will settle in a few days, though bruising can sometimes persist for a couple of weeks.
- Occasionally you may be aware of a tightness or pulling or “prickly” sensation especially when you suddenly move your face. Please keep facial movements to a minimum for two weeks. Avoid excessive chewing, laughing, yawning, wide smiling or drinking from a straw.
- It is a normal and expected part of the treatment process to have folding or puckering of the tissues after Silhouette Soft® Sutures. This is a temporary effect and will settle completely within a few days to a week.
- Sometimes there might be a slight depression or skin irregularity at the entry and exit points. These inconveniences will disappear after a few days.
Post care instructions
- Take an analgesic such as Panado® or Stopayne® but avoid oral anti-inflammatories as they negatively affect the collagen cascade
- Apply Bactroban® or Fucidin® to the entry and exit points twice daily for 5 days or until the prick marks have completely healed.
- Topical natural anti-inflammatory preparations such as Arnica® or Patricia Clarke ® gel will help soothe the area. You are welcome to take a complimentary small tub of gel after the procedure. Apply bruising gel as needed.
- Apply ice packs or a cold towel to the area immediately after the procedure for 5-10 minutes.
- Keep the head elevated for the first three nights if possible.
- Avoid direct pressure to the face and areas where sutures were placed for 2 weeks after the procedure. When Silhouette Soft® sutures have been used it will be slightly uncomfortable to lie on the treated area for a few days. The use of an aeroplane horseshoe shaped pillow at night will keep you lying on your back and reduce discomfort. Try to sleep face up for 5 nights.
- If there is any puckering or folding of the skin this will take a few days to a week to settle.
- If there is a small collection of fluid in the jowl area, it will resolve over a couple of weeks.
- Wash area gently with a mild facial cleanser and pat dry. Do not rub the area for 5 days.
- Apply make-up shave and wash hair gently for 5 days.
- Avoid direct sunlight and don’t use tanning beds for 2 weeks.
- Avoid facial massages and other facial treatments for 3 weeks
- Avoid contact sports for 3 weeks
- Don’t use saunas or hammans for 3 weeks
- Avoid dental work for 3 weeks if at all possible
- It takes approximately 3 weeks to start seeing results and the full effect is seen after 4-6 months
- No Radiofrequency should be done on the same area for 4 months following your last threading procedure as it will dissolve the threads.
- Any aesthetic procedure causing an inflammatory effect should not be performed 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after the procedure. E.g. Laser, IPL, Radiofrequency, Fraxel®
- A Follow Up appointment in 2 days and again at 2 weeks is advised and available should you have any concerns.
Please let the doctor know if you have any comments, questions or concerns. Your understanding, safety and care is of utmost importance.